It is a big step to make the decision to get one or more dental implants. Once you do decide that implants are the best option for you, you have another decision to make: choosing the right doctor for your procedure.
Most people choose a dental implant professional simply by following their dentist’s recommendation. Others ask for recommendations from friends, family members, or colleagues. While this can be a good place to start your search, it is still important to ask your dental implant doctor about his or her background, experience, and education before making your final decision.
Seven Questions to Ask Your Dental Implant Professional
- How long have you been performing implant procedures? When it comes to implant success, experience is key. A dentist or surgeon who has done hundreds or thousands of implants will have a set of skills and a base of knowledge that simply won’t compare to someone new to the procedure.
- What is your educational background? It’s a given that your dental professional will be a graduate of dental school and/or medical school. But has he or she had special training in dental implants, especially if they attended dental school several decades ago, before new implant technology existed? Do they engage in any continuing education?
- Are you considered an expert by others in the field? The very best dental implant doctors are the ones who instruct other dentists in their field. Ask if they give lectures or seminars about dental implants. Also ask if they have published academic papers, research or articles about dental implants.
- How much of your practice is dedicated to dental implants? This question goes hand-in-hand with asking about a dentist’s experience. Even if they are well-trained, they may simply not do many dental implant operations. Ask how many implants they place in an average month?
- How did you choose your implant system? There are literally hundreds of implant systems to choose from. Understanding why your doctor chose the system he or she works will can shed light on their expertise and priorities. Some implant companies produce products that have special advantages or benefits over others. Other companies produce implants that are simply cheaper copies of the major producers.
- What was a challenging dental implant case that you have had in the past? Some dentists only take on very straightforward implant cases. Asking your dentist about a challenging case they have taken on can help you understand how your dentist approaches and solves problems.
- What is your facility like? It’s not only the dentist or doctor that is important – it is also the facility where you will receive care and the team that will care for you before, during, and after treatment. Visit the facility and ask questions about technology, policy, patient care.
Dentist or Oral Surgeon?
It is now becoming more common for family dentists to offer dental implant procedures instead of referring patients to an oral surgeon. Whether you decide to choose a dentist or an oral surgeon, be certain to ask them about their training, experience, and facility. Your choice may also depend on the implant procedure you require: if you case is in any way complex, a specialist may be a better choice.
Dental Implants at the Surgical Arts Centre
Our team of specialists place hundreds of implants each year – from single-tooth implants to full arch implants. Our surgeons have lectured nationally and internationally, teaching other surgeons new techniques related to dental implant placement. To learn more about our services, to speak to a doctor, or to learn more about our facility, please contact us today: (406) 549-6600.